Friday, August 16, 2024

ShopRite | Glenolden, PA

 

140 N. MacDade Blvd.

Welcome to the Glenolden ShopRite!

Finally, we're back home! And we'll be completing the collection of currently-operating Delaware County ShopRites. The other ones are BrookhavenEddystone, and Drexel Hill. This ShopRite location opened on April 28, 2016, in what was formerly a Pathmark that closed with the chain in November 2015. Pathmark opened here in 1981 on the site of a former drive-in movie theater. Let's head inside and take a quick look!


This store has an extremely confusing and bad layout, so I didn't realize until after leaving the store that I missed the beer and wine section on the left side of the store, but I did get part of it in this picture. Behind me are cafe seating and the customer service counter.




The produce stand takes up most of the grand aisle. The ShopRite Kitchen and MacDade Blvd. Delicatessen are across from it on an island. By the way, this ShopRite is owned by Collins Family Markets, who also owns the Eddystone location. That store has a similarly-named Chester Pike Delicatessen and Kitchen.


The Delco Seafood Co. is in the back left corner. To the left of this was some sort of health and beauty department which went down the left wall. Here's a picture of the pharmacy department before it closed in 2021. I would think it was in this general area (probably where beer and wine is now), but I was only in this store once before the pharmacy closed so I don't remember (plus there's no place in the store that looks anything like that today).


Continuing down the back wall, we find the bakery department. The decor here was obviously retained from Pathmark's Chelsea Bakers department.


International foods are in aisle 5. The aisle markers here say both Collins Markets and ShopRite.




Various packaged meats and select butcher offerings on the back wall.



The dairy farm and frozen foods are in the last few aisles of the store.


Snacks and beverages get their own section in the front corner on this side of the store. This ShopRite seems to really like local flair, so obviously Herr's (based in Nottingham, Chester County) is front and center. Are Herr's chips really sold in all 50 states? That's what I read on their website, but I never saw them in Florida and I found a Reddit post by someone in California who couldn't find them anywhere. I do remember seeing them in an episode of Superstore (set in St. Louis), which I thought was odd.


ShopRite's old slogan adorns the front wall of this store as we check out.

Other Images of Interest

Street View Images

2017


Not looking much different here, other than the pharmacy signage still being up. Here's how the store looked back in 2010 when it was still a Pathmark.

Nearby competition

1.1 miles away: Acme of Holmes


This Acme opened in 1969 and has been operating ever since, currently as the only anchor of the MacDade Mall. This was the second store I ever did a post on, back in 2022, and you can tour it here. Acme acquired quite a few Pathmarks during A&P's 2015 bankruptcy, and I was kind of surprised that they didn't take the Glenolden store, but I guess they were happy here. If this were the '90s, they probably would have moved into the Kmart next door, which has been abandoned for almost five years.

1.2 miles away: Grocery Outlet Bargain Market of Sharon Hill


This store first opened as an Acme back in 1959 and amazingly lasted until 2012, becoming known for being the last store in the chain with the '80s decor. It became Amelia's Grocery Outlet in 2013, which in turn became Grocery Outlet Bargain Market in 2015.

In all, I don't know how I felt about this store. The decor is great, but the store was kind of a mess, both literally and in terms of its layout. I probably would not shop here regularly. I did like their in-store soundtrack, however ("All You Wanted" by Michelle Branch -- though, in my opinion, her best song is "Are You Happy Now?"). One final thought: weirdly enough, my Flickr photo of this store was posted exactly two years ago today! I totally did not plan that out. Thanks for reading! The Retail Connection: Check out happy.




















4 comments:

  1. Great catch on the Pathmark décor bones in the bakery! It goes together so cohesively with the new ShopRite décor that I never would have guessed that they reused or incorporated any of the old stuff.

    I see Herr's chips here in Mississippi! Ollie's is where I see them the most, but I feel like I encounter them at other stores as well.

    Ha, I prefer "Are You Happy Now?" as well, but both are good songs :P And how was I not already following you on flickr?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must say that I actually found out the Pathmark decor fact from styertowne's Flickr page, though I probably would have noticed it myself regardless. It definitely does fit in with the decor put in by ShopRite, however!

      Interesting! I wonder if Ollie's stores get them from stores in the Northeast? I remember reading about America's Choice (A&P) products being found at Ollie's and Big Lots locations across the South after A&P liquidated. Possibly not, though, if you've seen them at other stores.

      Yes, they're both good - I've yet to hear a bad song from her! And how weren't you??? LOL. But hopefully you are now!

      Delete
  2. I was very intrigued by ShopRite's deli sign, because the font used for the word "Delicatessen" is the same font used by Publix in their Wavy Pastel decor from the 1990's! See here for the Publix version: https://shorturl.at/Fr0WQ

    It's neat the bones of Pathmark's old decor survived in parts of the store too. It looks like this store closed with the nicer Pathmark decor, and not that awful cheap "Save Save Save" decor with the cardboard signs A&P seemed to love putting in as many Pathmarks as they could.

    As for Herr's chips, they can be found in Florida if you look in the right places. Walmart and Big Lots carry a small selection of Herr's (with Ollie's getting some random flavors too, like Retail Retell mentioned), however, Wawa is the best place down here to find the wider variety of Herr's flavors (however, Wawa mostly sells the smaller-size bags). Herr's only began to appear down here around a decade ago, so it was semi-recently when the company began to get distribution into the Southeast, but I don't know how far West their distribution goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I did notice myself! I was pretty sure but not certain that the fonts were the same, so thanks for confirming. I've always liked that Publix decor.

      Yes, it did have the good Pathmark decor (I believe the name was Go Fresh, Go Local). The nearby Folsom Pathmark closed with the same decor. I've always wondered why they ever even created the Save Save Save decor, because it was never better than what it replaced, and obviously all A&P could afford to do.

      Interesting to hear all of this about Herr's! What's next, Lays not being a Philly exclusive either! (Kidding, obviously!)

      Delete

Safeway | Glasgow, DE

2400 Peoples Plaza Welcome to the Glasgow Safeway! Hey, we're at a Safeway! This store is the only Safeway in the Philadelphia area, as ...