Friday, July 12, 2024

ShopRite | Marmora, NJ

 

4 Roosevelt Blvd.

Welcome to the Marmora ShopRite!

We're finally back down the shore again! Only for one week, until we're headed to a different shore (which you'll learn about next week)... but for now, let's take a look at this great ShopRite! It's owned by Village Super Markets and opened on May 31, 2009 as anchor of a new shopping center. Marmora isn't a beach town, but it's only a few miles away from Ocean City, so it does very well as an alternative to the two Acmes in OC. Let's take a look inside!


The main entrance is in this tower that kind of reminds me of a Price Chopper (which ShopRite has operated in before).


Upon entering, we see an expansive produce department with a cool lighting feature hanging above it. While this store is very nice, I was surprised to learn that it opened in 2009, because, to me, it felt more like a store from the mid-late '90s.



The customer service department and the bakery are on either side of the entrance area. As you can see, this store has a somewhat more deluxe version of the Village decor seen in Vineland, with more artwork and signage.


Bistro Street is on the right wall across from the bakery, along with Blueprint Subs and Salads. This store has quite a large prepared foods section, as well as a salad bar (which aren't seen in a ton of supermarkets these days).


The most popular part of the store was undeniably the deli counter, with more recent signage promoting ShopRite's Black Bear of the Black Forest brand.


Being so close to the ocean, this ShopRite has a large seafood department.


Custom cuts and the service meat counter are on the back wall next to the seafood counter. The signage for service meat here fits in with the rest of the store better than Vineland's did, but even still, it isn't totally the same as the other signs.


A look at the back of the store. The aisle markers here are very far away from the aisles, for some reason.


Here's a look at aisle 13, with laundry detergent and other household items. The general grocery aisles are under a drop ceiling.



The dairy department is in the back corner on this side of the store. Frozen foods are in the aisles across from here. Also, I could totally see that "MILK · JUICE" signage being in a collection of liminal spaces photos. If only I had brought an old digital camera to this store.


More dairy items in the last aisle, aisle 20, of the store.


The Village Pharmacy Market is at the end of aisle 20 on the store's front wall, ready to fill any prescriptions you may need while on vacation on 4th of July Weekend.


The checkout setup is quite similar to Vineland, just much bigger. In case I didn't say so already, this store feels really big.


YOU'RE WELCOME

Other Images of Interest

Street View Images

2019


Obviously not the best beach day here.

Nearby competition

2.3 miles away: Acme of Ocean City


While sadly we won't be touring the Simpson Avenue Acme in Ocean City, at least for a few weeks, I definitely recommend reading Acme Style's post about it. In addition to the Santa Fe-meets-PF&H decor (which I believe it still has today), it's notable for being the only pitched-roof Acme that was expanded, but left the pitched roof in-tact, as you can see on the left side of the store. Acme has another location in Ocean City on West Avenue that they acquired from A&P (SuperFresh) in 2015. That store now has Quality Built.

Well, that's all for this tour! Like I said a few times in this post, I thought this was a really nice store, just like Vineland, the other Village store that I've been to. The store was also slamming busy on the day I visited (though it was also July 5, so...), and I noticed some pretty good sales. I'm also a fan of the decor, especially the nicer version this store has. By the time you're reading this post, I'm probably already on the way to my next destination, and we'll be touring stores there starting next week! And if you're reading this months in the future, just click ahead to the next post! Have a great weekend! The Retail Connection: Check out happy.














2 comments:

  1. I agree about the aesthetic of this store - had you not said this store opened in 2009, I would have guessed it opened in 1999. The exterior, the decor, it just all looks very 90's to me (though not in a bad way - the building just has those characteristics).

    Hopefully you get to Simpson Ave. Acme for a tour too. It's a unique store design-wise, so some more photos in addition to Acme Style's wouldn't hurt! Not sure if you heard, but the Acme Style blog actually came back up (not for new posts, but the site is back online after that strange disappearance for a few years).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I almost thought about not saying the year it opened until the end, but I figured it wasn't THAT level of surprising. I didn't know while I was in the store, and I would've figured 1999 would be even a little late - I was thinking more like 1996. Like you said, it's '90s, but not in a bad way.

      I hope I can, too! I'm hoping to go back to Ocean City at some point this year, though I can't this month. I didn't hear Acme Style was back up! I guess you could tell since I still used the Wayback Machine links in this post, LOL. That's great! Using the archive of it was pretty tedious. I wonder why it came back up? If I'm not mistaken, that has to be done by the webmaster (same for making it private).

      Delete

Safeway | Glasgow, DE

2400 Peoples Plaza Welcome to the Glasgow Safeway! Hey, we're at a Safeway! This store is the only Safeway in the Philadelphia area, as ...